Thursday, April 29, 2010

A vent of the "experts"

Some people need to keep their mouths shut.
If you don't like the fact that our kids watch Sesame Street, keep it to yourself. Or use tact. Do you know what that is?

Last night my dear friend, Ashley and I attended our Relief Society activity. It was a sewing activity, and because we had children, we sat in the back corner to keep our children entertained and out of the way. As we were leaving, we were discussing how we missed having the kids channels. Then the lady turned around.

"I would never let my kids watch that KUED trash!"
"Sesame Street is so NEGATIVE!"
"I can't believe your kids go to bed so late"
"Shouldn't they be in bed by 8:00?"
"Blah blah Blah"


Not that I'm really that sensitive, okay, maybe sometimes, but come on people! I don't feel I need to justify the fact that my children sometimes watch tv. Sometimes we even play video games. Shh....shame on me!

So, I was thinking, just what is the best thing to do for my kids?
I know, I'm not a perfect mom, but my children are happy and healthy, even when they watch tv. Granted a little tv is much better than a LOT of tv. But I don't think, at least in my household, that banning the tv is going to make the situation better or worse.

What do you think?
Does it make a difference for you, when you are single parents or parents with a non-involved spouse?

Being a single mom is a lot harder than I ever could have imagined, and so I'm always looking for different ways to do the right thing. But what I have found is there are a lot of different parenting techniques, not one of which is the Right way, or the Only way, or the Best way. In my opinion, children are as different as the techniques that are out there. And only you - their legal guardian/mom/dad/etc - know the best way to work with your kids.

Although, I do find it funny, that many of the people and books that I have heard/read that want to offer me their advice are from those who have never been parents themselves. Not that they can't have great ideas, but I do find it a little offensive when they claim to be experts or drs, or whatever.

Okay, I'm done with my little vent. But what do you think? Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, sometimes, especially when you are tired, the last thing you want to hear is someone telling you how to raise your children. Just smile and wave, like the penguins on Madagascar.